Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Why I Love NPR

In the final analysis, advertising, brand engagement, consumer connections, et. al., is about story telling. We tell stories in an attempt to build an emotional bridge to someone who we define as a target.

The default for story-telling in our business has become "the visual." Magazines, TV, YouTube...somehow, it is easier and more compelling to tell a story with through the magic of sight, sound, motion, etc.

In our quest for visual impact, radio, or the art of creating theatre of the mind has been, for the most part, been left by the way-side. Radio is not cool.

But radio done right can be the most engaging of media. I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning. The news stories on NPR are almost always engaging and the "visuals" in my mind, more compelling than anything I would see on CNN. A few weeks ago, a female reporter did a story from inside San Quentin prison and it was the most riveting theatre I have experienced in a long time. I'm providing the link to the
San Quentin story...it's worth five minutes of your time.

Various studies indicate that people are 2-3X more likely to remember something they hear than see. Maybe it's time to give radio another look...sorry, listen!

Any NPR lovers out there?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a fellow NPR listener, I appreciate reading your comments and often find myself carried away to whatever time and place they are discussing. It can become a challenge in the mornings when I'm more wrapped up in what they have to say than actually getting to work on time. Their honest, objective and compelling stories provide a welcome contrast to the sensationalized, biased accounts assaulting us in other forms of mass media.