Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mel Karmizan's Miracle Solution

It was just announced that John Malone's Liberty Media will bail out Mel Karmizan's Sirrius/XM Satellite radio network for a half a billion bucks.

Frankly, I don't get it. What does Malone see in satellite radio? I wrote about Sirrius last week. I continue to sample the satellite dial in search of something interesting enough to make me want to shell out $10 a month. And I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

The thing that really jumps out at me as I listen more closely is the dearth of simply awful commercials. It seems like every break is populated with commercials touting the next miracle solution: debt solutions, male enhancement solutions, dating solutions, weight loss solutions, colon-cleansing solutions, bad-breath solutions. Satellite radio is late night TV "yell & sell" advertising on Alex Rodriquez-endorsed steroids.

What gets me back to the premise of this post: what would prompt Malone to dish out a boat-load of cash to salvage something with little, inherent consumer value?

Unless, of course, the idea of being Mel Karmizan's boss is too irresistible to pass up.

No comments: